logo reytt/hvítt
 Um Tjóðsavnið       Deildir       Tíðindi        Stuðul      Upplatingartíðir       Ofta spurt        English  
TJÓÐSAVNIÐ  LANDSBÓKASAVNIÐ LANDSSKJALASAVNIР    
leita í søvnum 4   bøkur og skjøl 3      náttúra 4 fornminni 4 framsýning, mentan, náttúra, skúlatænasta
Faroese National Heritage
National Library
National Archive
National History Museum
Natural History Museum
Museum Exhibition

xx Opening Hours
 
  Hoyvíksgarður Open-air Museum
 
  Dúvugarðar in Saksun

The Island of Koltur
Áir Whaling Station


























 
Hoyvíksgarður open-air museum

Hoyvíksgarður
The farm of Hoyvíksgarður was appraised to 12 marks in the outfield and 18 marks of infield, supporting 440 breeding sheep.

The legend is that the farmhouse was originally situated at Kúrdalur, but was moved to its present location by the farmer taking over the farm in 1772.

In 1810 the farm was subdivided into two individual farms, with one belonging to the sheriff as his wage. The sheriff’s house was just to the east of this house, and was removed in 1920, when this part of the farm was turned into a research station. In 1810 there were ten people living in the farmer’s house, and six people living with the sheriff’s tenant.

The Dwelling House
The layout of the dwelling house is unchanged from around 1920. The eastern part of the house was a King’s farm, while the western part was privately owned. The privately owned part of the farm was to support the retired farmer, once the younger generation took over the running of the King’s farm.

The living room (roykstova) was the indoor work area on the farm. Here the food was prepared, the wool was spun, the sheep slaughtered, and many other tasks performed. In the evenings, the people on the farm gathered here to tell stories, sing, and enjoy themselves.

Outhouses and Environment
In the early 19th century, the King’s farm had 308 breeding sheep, seven cows, one four-seater and one eight-seater rowing boat. The privately owner part of the farm had 180 breeding sheep, five cows, and one four-seater rowing boat.

The sheds and outhouses are placed in the common, and the cattle trach leads through the infield to the outfield. In the valley Kúrdalur they had a water mill.

MYND:


Farmhouse
Storehouse
Cow house
Haybarn, c. 1890
Bull house
Cool house for milk
Ruin of old shed for drying corn
Potato shed
Hollow in rock for crushing tormentil root
Peat shed
Storehouse for meat
Shed for drying corn, since c. 1920 quarantine house at the agricultural testing laboratory
Smithy
Water mill
Cattle track, path to the exhibition in Brekkutún 6
Brook from which water was taken for cooking
Formerly the Agricultural Testing Laboratory, now administration buildings of the National History Museum.
Hoyvíksgarður
Hoyvíksgarður
Kúrdalsvegur 16, Hoyvík

Opening hours

Admission fee:
Adults: 30 kr
Seniors and groups: 20 kr
Children: Free

*Admission tickets are valid for all National Heritage exhibits the same day